Re: Is it legal to set `help-char' to nil?

From: YE Qianchuan
Subject: Re: Is it legal to set `help-char' to nil?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:14:12 +0800

On 04/11/2013 06:59 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
I can reproduce this.  The error happens when loading "ehelp", here, in
the definition of `electric-help-map':

(define-key map (char-to-string help-char) 'electric-help-help)
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now.

Similar examples are spread over diverse other elisp files.  So, we know
now that Emacs indeed assumes that `help-char' is a character (and not
nil), so nil is not allowed as a value.
OK, so it answered my question. nil is not legal for `help-char'.

I don't have a better solution than to bind `help-char' to a different
character.  You could also create a bug report - I think what you want
could be made possible, but I don't know if emacs-dev would do it.
All the legal characters have been defined for other commands, or can't be used in terminal.
It's fine with me to just leave C-h for help in those cases.
Thank you.

Regards,

Michael.