Re: emacs for beginners (copy and paste)

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: emacs for beginners (copy and paste)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:40:15 -0400

In article <8e85c07f-e123-489d-9575-7de4e6063a86@googlegroups.com>,
 piconese.as@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi!!! I'm starting to use EMACS and I'have a problem:
>
> I want to copy and paste the values of alpha_eff delta_eff gamma_eff.
>
> The problem is that I want to do this for 75 movements.
>
> So I want to select and to copy only the values of alpha_eff delta_eff
> gamma_eff for each movement and to paste them in a new file.

Look into keyboard macros. You record a sequence of keyboard commands,
and then tell Emacs to rerun them. You can tell it how many times to run
it over and over.

In your case, you can use a regexp search to search for
\(alpha\|delta\|gamma\)_eff:, set a mark, move over the next word, copy
it with M-w, switch to the buffer containing the file you're copying to,
paste with C-y, and switch back to the original buffer.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA