region foreground color

From: blacknwhite77
Subject: region foreground color
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,
I used emacs ver.23 and whenever I select a region "highlight it" the
background color will become LightGoldenrod2 and the original colors
"face-fonts" of functions/structures...etc "stays the same".

I have switched to use emacs ver.24 and these defaults changed.
The background color changed to be a blue color and now there is a foreground
color of the highlighted text to be white.

I tried to revert to old defaults by adding these two lines to my .emacs:

(set-face-background 'region "LightGoldenrod2") ; Set region background color
(set-face-foreground 'region "Black")           ; Set region foreground color

So at least now I have the background color set right and the text color is not
the annoying white one.
However, now all the text that is highlighted become black color.

How is it possible to configure emacs to leave the highlighted text in it's
original color?

Thanks a bunch.