RE: flet, cl-flet, cl-letf in 24.3

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: flet, cl-flet, cl-letf in 24.3
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 09:07:47 -0700

> > If you have read the doc and you feel it does not make
> > things clear, consider filing a doc bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> I don't even have emacs 24.3 installed. I'm referring to the
> documentation [1,2,3,4]. Together with the notification
>     `flet' is an obsolete macro (as of 24.3); use either
>     `cl-flet' or `cl-letf'.
> as reported here [5], this documentation does not really tell
> me what to do if I want to keep relying on the dynamic
> scoping of flet.  A brief google search [6] leads me to believe
> that (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'foo) #'(lambda (...) ...))) ...)
> is the suggested solution, however I wanted to make sure that
> is the case.

It is good to ask the question here, of course, and someone will likely post a
good answer soon.

> In any case if that were the sugggested way, it should maybe
> be added to one of the documentation sites [1,2,3,4]. I'd be
> happy to file a report on that.

Please do.  That can help Emacs Dev understand what might need to be done to
make things clearer.  If there is a misunderstanding wrt the references you
cite, Emacs Dev will likely let you know that too.  Just becoming aware of a
misunderstanding can be helpful input to those trying to communicate better.