Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:35:24 +0200

Hugh Lawson <hu.lawson@gmail.com> writes:

> I use "sudo emacs -nw <filename>" in terminal to edit configuration

This runs emacs with su power, which is not so good. I suggest using
$ sudoedit <filename>
with the (EDITOR or) VISUAL environment variable set
to "emacsclient" (or to "emacsclient -a=" or "emacsclient -a= -t", or
"emacs" if you really prefer a new emacs session to be started.).

(And, going back to the subject, I also use emacs over ssh regularly
together with emacsclient, and don't have an internet connection good
enough to create X frames over ssh.)

--
Nico.