Re: sending function arguments to recursive function calls

From: Gauthier Östervall
Subject: Re: sending function arguments to recursive function calls
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 10:35:36 +0200

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Actually, Emacs's lexical-binding variant of Elisp is pretty close to
> Common Lisp: the default binding is lexical but you can use dynamic
> binding for specific cases.
>
> The difference is that Emacs has to keep the old compatibility mode
> where lexical-binding is nil, whereas Common-Lisp never had such a thing.
>
>> Lexical binding was added to Emacs relatively recently.  With time,
>> perhaps it and dynamic binding will become better roommates.
>
> When lexical-binding is t, they're very good roomates already.
> Hopefully with time, the "lexical-binding = nil" case can be dropped.

If I have an existing file with lexical-binding = nil, and I want to
add more functions to that file, what is then the preferred way to do
it?  Should I write the new function with lexical-binding = t?  Isn't
it risky or wrong to set lexical-binding at the top of the file (like
face-remap.el does), what would happen to the other functions, which
earlier had lexical-binding = nil?

Is there a way (and is it better) to set lexical-binding = t locally
for the new function?

Or is it better to make the new function work with lexical-binding =
nil, despite the caveats described by Pascal?