RE: Bind right shift and TAB won't work

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bind right shift and TAB won't work
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 15:43:18 -0700

> In w3m, I'd like to iterate anchors backwards with (right) shift and
> TAB. I tried both below approaches but behaviour suggests that Emacs
> doesn't sense the shift (or ignores it) when combined with TAB. C-h k
> also displays the documentation for plain TAB.
>
> (local-set-key (kbd "S-TAB")     'w3m-previous-anchor)
> (local-set-key (kbd "<backtab>") 'w3m-previous-anchor)
>
> PS. Does this group have a FAQ? DS.

A FAQ?  No.  But it has an archive:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

Emacs has a FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

When you do `C-h k' and then hold the right Shift key and hit the Tab key, just
what does it say wrt the key sequence you used (forgetting about the binding for
now)?

Does it think that you hit only TAB?  If so, that is what your keyboard is
sending, I think.  Does the right Shift key work for you otherwise, i.e., in
general?

What happens when you do the same thing, but you use the left Shift key?

What happens if you try using `global-set-key', just to see?  Same problem?

AFAIK, there is no way to distinguish the left and right Shift keys, and either
should work fine with the code you tried.

You can also try (kbd "<S-tab>") and (kbd "<S-iso-lefttab>").  But it sounds
like your keyboard is not sending what's needed from the right Shift key.

Maybe someone else has an idea.