Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 09:15:43 +0200

> Emacs has a FAQ:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

Yes, but I was wondering more if there were any guidelines how to
interact in this very group. Like how much context to provide, and
stuff like that. If you use some special notation to highlight
commands. Etc.

> When you do `C-h k' and then hold the right Shift key and hit the
> Tab key, just what does it say wrt the key sequence you used
> (forgetting about the binding for now)? Does it think that you hit
> only TAB?

Yes.

> If so, that is what your keyboard is sending, I think.  Does the
> right Shift key work for you otherwise, i.e., in general?

Yes, in X and Iceweasel it works as I try to set it up, in w3m. I
don't know how to test for it in the console? showkey (in the console)
shows both (but separately), if that's a clue.

> What happens when you do the same thing, but you use the left Shift
> key?

The same: TAB.

> What happens if you try using `global-set-key', just to see?  Same
> problem?

Yes.

> AFAIK, there is no way to distinguish the left and right Shift keys,
> and either should work fine with the code you tried.

OK, so that's consistent, because neither works.

> You can also try (kbd "<S-tab>") and (kbd "<S-iso-lefttab>").

Those won't work either. But thanks for a gutsy effort.

> Maybe someone else has an idea.

Let's hope so :)

FYI, you also emailed me your answer. I don't know if that is custom
(or even a slip) but anyway, it is not needed as I am happy to use
Gnus for Usenet.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573