"Text is read-only"... except it isn't... or shouldn't be

From: ken
Subject: "Text is read-only"... except it isn't... or shouldn't be
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 05:47:46 -0400

A file which I've been opening in emacs and editing for a few years in emacs suddenly with emacs version 22.1.1 became read-only. I open it, can navigate around in it (though the cursor/mark isn't visible), but when I try to edit it, I'm not allowed. I get a message in the minibuffer saying, "Text is read-only". The beginning of the modeline is "-u: --". I can open this same file in vi and edit it (as the same user) without any problem at all. I don't have this problem with any other file I edit in emacs, just this one. The OS is linux, kernel version 2.6.18.384, and the permissions for this file are 664 and I am the owner of the file. If I change (i.e., mv) the name of the file to something else, emacs behaves normally and lets me edit the file just like any other file. So I'm pretty sure that the problem is that emacs has a problem with the file name and thinks I shouldn't be allowed to edit it. How do I turn this behavior off?

thanks much.