Re: How to change default "insert file" path /tmp to home directory?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How to change default "insert file" path /tmp to home directory?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 17:48:54 -0400

In article <avd31vFdl82U1@mid.individual.net>, gerlach <jack@aiai.de>
wrote:

> Am 10.05.2013 23:02, schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:
> > gerlach <jack@aiai.de> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I googl'ed a lot and didn't find it: how can I change the default
> >> "insert path" (ctrl-x i) from /tmp to e.g.  /home/gerlach  ?
> >
> > M-: (setq default-directory "/home/gerlach/") RET
> >

> i state today that its any longer working! Default directory is /tmp
> once again. At least in Why?
>
> my /home/gerlach/.emacs
> (setq fill-column 50)
> (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)
> (setq default-directory "/home/gerlach/")
>

> BTW: (setq fill-column 50)  is ignored. Even if I insert 20 instead of
> 50. Why?

fill-column is a buffer-local variable. Use setq-default to set the
default value for new buffers.

And as I mentioned in another reply, default-directory is also
buffer-local. However, it doesn't help much to set its default value,
because it's automatically changed to the directory containing the file
you're editing. You can use setq-default, but that will only work for
buffers that aren't editing files.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA