Re: "Text is read-only"... except it isn't... or shouldn't be

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: "Text is read-only"... except it isn't... or shouldn't be
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:59:18 +0200

Am 14.05.2013 um 08:46 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>>> Solution: remove that extension from auto-mode-alist, and Bob's your
>>> uncle.
>>
>> Cool.  That's what I want.  So I guess I put something in ~/.emacs...
>> but what?
>
> I don't know what is the file-name extension of that file, so I cannot
> give a precise recipe.  Assuming for a moment that its extension is
> .png, I see that auto-mode-alist includes this element:
>
>   ("\\.png\\'" . image-mode)
>
> So to remove this, you need to do this:
>
>  (delete '("\\.png\\'" . image-mode) auto-mode-alist)

Since this removes all image support from PNG (or the actual type of) files it
might be more useful to either rename the file temporarily or to create a link
with an extension like .txt and edit that link.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire
catalogue.
                –  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897