Re: problems with X11 forwarding inside frame

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: problems with X11 forwarding inside frame
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:31:19 -0600

Joseph Mingrone wrote:
> jrm@phe ~ % ssh -f gly 'emacsclient -nc'
> 0;jrm@phe|~emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
> To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
> jrm@phe ~ % ("emacs")
> Starting Emacs daemon.
> Emacs daemon should have started, trying to connect again
>
> Another prompt shows up, but I'm not doing anything after
> ssh -f gly 'emacsclient -nc'.

I would start the emacs server first so that emacsclient has something
to connect.  This above appears out of order to me.  That may be some
of the problem.  Start the server first.

I can't figure out what you are trying to do here.  It doesn't make
any sense to me.  You have emacs running.  But you haven't started a
server.  You are ssh'ing over to a remote system and running
emacsclient there but without a file.  If that can connect to the
running emacs server then it would simply raise that frame.  But you
started it from emacs already.  So none of the above makes any sense
to me.

Perhaps you could start again from the beginning.  Take it step by
step.  First explain what you are trying to accomplish.  Then explain
what you have done step by step.

Bob