Re: Printing questions concerning lpr-switches and printer-name

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Printing questions concerning lpr-switches and printer-name
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:11:56 +0200

Peter Dyballa writes:

> Am 22.05.2013 um 21:21 schrieb Marius Hofert:
>
>> 2) I would like to print files of certain types (like .c, .R) by 'a2ps'
>> instead of 'lpr'. How can this be dealt with (or is again the best
>> solution to adjust the print command manually [in this case completely
>> replace it]?).
>
> You could use an universal shell or Perl or Python or whatever script
> that handles the printing based on their extension and on internal
> rules…

This is a good idea.

> In GNU Emacs you can also set lpr-command. Why not press f1, f2, f3,
> with modifiers, to select a printer and modify its way of printing?

I think I roughly know what you mean, but a) not 100% sure and b) no
glue how to do this...

An 'ido' completion of available printers would also be
great. Theoretically that should be possible, but I rather have to learn
elisp first...

Maybe someone already has a similar setup / requirements?

Cheers,

Marius