Re: How to achieve desired automatic scrolling behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to achieve desired automatic scrolling behavior
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 18:34:05 +0300

> Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:57:32 -0400
> From: Barry OReilly <gundaetiapo@gmail.com>
>
> I'm asking about two things, but I'll focus on the first. The simplest way
> to describe it: if a command moves point by line off screen, I want to
> scroll one line and if point moves more than that off screen, I want to
> recenter point.
>
> One would think scroll-conservatively==1 would fit the bill, but it doesn't
> when lines wrap. If I arrow down (actually: Evil's j command) I'm fine
> until I hit a line that wraps visually, then I get an undesired recenter.

I don't understand why: did you disable visual-line-mode (it is ON by
default)?  Or maybe Evil does something with the related commands and
features?  Because by default, pressing the down arrow key once moves
1 _screen_ line down, which still fits the scroll-conservatively==1
condition, and should give you the behavior you want.

I just tried what I think you are doing, when lines are wrapped, and
didn't have any recentering.  How about a recipe to reproduce this
starting from "emacs -Q"?