Re: isearch and yank word doubt

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: isearch and yank word doubt
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:38:35 +0200

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> On 5/31/13 1:32 AM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>>>
>>> I like it!
>>
>> One detail I don't like in the above: when C-s C-w'ing, it directly jumps to
>> the next occurrence of the searched string. I find it'd be better if it'd
>> stay
>> on the current word, highlighting it completely.
>
> That may be very difficult to implement, and it doesn't make sense to
> me: isearch by definition searches the buffer from point to the end, so
> if the search string includes text preceding point it cannot match the
> occurrence that straddles point.
>
> Of course, the occurrence that straddles point is eventually matched if
> the search is wrapped past the end of the buffer.  And even before
> wrapping, the occurrence is highlighted with the lazy-highlight face --
> although it may no longer be visible, depending on how far away is the
> next occurrence.

That's it: in many cases, you don't see anymore the original word you were on.
And you don't know if you needed to press another time on C-w, if word stopped
at `-' and you want to add the rest, for example.

> That highlighting does seem intuitive, so I'll try to come up with a clean
> implementation of the behavior you want (that does not actually move point
> out of the middle of the word)...

So, IIUC, you would not move point (OK, I see no reason why it absolutely
should), and stay on the "reference" search string, that's it?

Thanks anyway...

Best regards,
  Seb

--