Re: Switching branches and TAB

From: Barry OReilly
Subject: Re: Switching branches and TAB
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:41:03 -0400

> At the moment, I have 18 views active (each in its own xterm) with
> 12 instances of Emacs running (not running Emacs in 6 views).

I use snapshot views for the improved local filesystem IO. Also so as
timestamps don't move backwards for uncheckouts and some config spec
changes, which leads to incorrect builds for timestamp based build
systems.

Snapshot views allow a source tree for each discrete task like many
other VCSes. I use a "current" symlink to the source tree of primary
interest. If the symlink is changed, Emacs auto revert loads the new
current source tree. I also open Emacs in "non current" source trees
for secondary tasks.

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ClearCase

I tried clearcase.el but according to my notes it slowed down
initialization too much. What's useful to me is to define one command
for checking out and do the other cleartool commands from the shell.

  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (call-process "cleartool"
                  nil nil nil
                  "co" "-nc"
                  (buffer-file-name))
    ;; Get the new write permissions
    (revert-buffer))

> I find ClearCase more powerful than most other source code
> management systems.

I'm baffled anyone experienced with ClearCase and at least one modern
VCS could reach that conclusion.