Re: Reverting but keeping undo

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Reverting but keeping undo
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:08:38 -0400

In article <icppw7m5dr.fsf@home.home>, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net>
wrote:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
> > I wonder why this prompt for confirmation was implemented.  I mean, you
> > seldom will type M-x revert-buffer RET by accident... If it's of no use
> > and everybody hates it, we should indeed consider to remove it, at least
> > for the interactive case.
>
> I always assumed it was because you were losing your undo history
> making the action one that could not be reversed (undone).

That seems likely. Hence, with revert now undoable, there's not as much
reason for the prompt.

Removing the prompt could potentially mess up saved keyboard macros. But
it seems to me that revert-buffer is an extremely unlikely command to
appear in a macro.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA