RE: Using punctuation in abbrev

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Using punctuation in abbrev
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 11:48:52 -0700 (PDT)

> >> I want to substitute $-> with a unicode rightwards arrow (U+2192  →).
> >
> > 1. Does that mean that you want to type `$->' and use `expand-abbrev'
> > each time to insert a Unicode right arrow?  If so, and if you don't
> > really care whether you use abbrev, consider binding insertion of a
> > right arrow char to a key sequence instead.
>
> The abbrev minor mode is active in all my buffers and it doesn't have
> to be triggered by a specific key, it's automatically substituted as I
> type. I plan on having a lot of easy-to-remember abbreviations for
> unicode chars I regularly use, all prefixed by $ or some other less
> used character so that it only triggers when I want. Calling
> insert-char is too cumbersome and breaks the flow.

You apparently really want to use abbrev here.  OK.  But to be clear,
I did not suggest that you call `insert-char' each time.  Not at all.

I suggested that you bind a specific right-arrow inserting command
to a key, and hit that key each time, instead of typing `$->' each time.
IOW, in effect, add a Unicode right-arrow key to your keyboard.