Re: Cannot use `vc-annotate' on OS X

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Cannot use `vc-annotate' on OS X
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:00:54 +0800

Hi Dmitry and Eli,

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 11:05:05 +0800
>>> From: Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
>>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>>
>>> `F1 v exec-path RET':
>>>   exec-path is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>>>   Its value is
>>>   ("/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin"
>>> "/Users/xfq/emacs-repo/bzr/trunk/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec"
>>> "/Users/xfq/emacs-repo/bzr/trunk/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin")
>>>
>>> `/usr/local/bin' isn't in it.  I'll add this path into my `.emacs',
>>> thank you.
>>
>> Not a good idea, if you ask me.  Your exec-path and PATH outside of
>> Emacs should be in agreement (with the exception of the libexec
>> directory).  Otherwise, Emacs will be able to find files that the
>> shell cannot, or vice versa.
>>
>> So I would suggest to figure out why the shell outside Emacs can find
>> what Emacs cannot, and fix whatever causes that, instead of simply
>> adding directories to exec-path.

On OS X, an Emacs session started from GUI will have a different
environment with a shell in terminal.  Obviously this will lead to
unexpected results when calling external utilities like `bzr' from
Emacs.

> Sounds like the problem described in and apparently solved by
> https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell

This library works around this problem by copying environment variables
from the shell, and it works for me.  Thank you.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/