Re: pymacs

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: pymacs
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:13:14 +0800

daniel <idnael@gmail.com> writes:

> That is interesting. (but doesn't work in my Emacs installation yet...)
>
> Anyway, it is not related to my question!
> """Pymacs is a powerful tool which, once started from Emacs, allows
> both-way communication between Emacs Lisp and Python."""

I use pymacs and rope, and like them quite a bit, but I remember it was
a real pain in the rear to get everything installed and talking
together. I'm on arch, so there are often confusions about python 2 vs 3
(3 is the default), and I think I was trying to install too many things
manually. Arch turned out to have readymade packages for pymacs,
python2-rope and python2-ropemode, and it all worked better.

Depending on your system, I'd definitely look for packages. Pymacs is
also available through Emacs' package manager, which might be the safest
option: install it from there, and do the usual initialization dance in
a python-mode load hook:

(autoload 'pymacs-apply "pymacs")
(autoload 'pymacs-call "pymacs")
(autoload 'pymacs-eval "pymacs" nil t)