Re: Scrolling in buffers with inline images / point outside viewport

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Scrolling in buffers with inline images / point outside viewport
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:40:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
>> However, when I try this now, this code simply does not work; as soon as
>> the cursor leaves the viewport, it somehow resets back to the original
>> position. I have no idea what's going on.
>
> Emacs won't let you use vscroll if the line with the cursor isn't at
> least partially visible -- it will reset the vscroll to bring point
> into view.
>
> Try making the window with .emacs as tall as you can, and put the
> cursor on its last line, before invoking the code above.  It works.

You are right, of course. This is why I did all this point-movement in
my visual scroll routines. I don't know why I was thinking this would
work.

I tried to reproduce the slowdown on scrolling very large images, but
failed, which is good. But instead of working on those old scroll
routines, I'll first try your patches in bug #14567 and follow-up there
if necessary.

-David