Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:16:49 -0700

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've googled and googled and googled and all I find are either things that
>> are
>> too complicated to figure out or else I wind up with fonts wherein 80 columns
>> takes up half of my 21 inch screen.  Actually, some "proggy" thing worked
>> mostly okay, except for the fact that 8 character tabs really only
>> used 6 columns.
>> So emacs knew which column I was in, but my eyeballs did not.  I just
>> want some sane font like, say, courier but asking emacs for that is beyond
>> my abilities.  It really ought not be this difficult.  Why not just a
>> nice simple
>> menu with the "quick brown fox" sample next to it and allowing me to set it
>> as the default?  That would be really easy.....
>
> I'm not able to give you much help but you might try sending a little
> more information to the list. Especially emacs version. I've never had
> Emacs default to a variable-width font on any system, but it could
> also be something in your host OS's settings.

I am certain it is something in my new settings.  It's been working fine on
this box for two years (OS/X Lion).  But then Lion decided it would not
talk to certain IP addresses (a long story, but suffice to say "ping" could
not send packets to some addresses, but would send just fine to others).
So my IT department refreshed it to 10.8.3 (some sort of kitty-cat - I don't
remember).  The emacs version in the "about" box says:

   24.3 (9.0)
   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs
   Copyright (C) 2013

Oh, and "ping" works now.  It was either a driver or a config FUBAR.

Thank you for your help!!

Regards, Bruce