Strange things happening with .rnw files in AucTeX mode

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Strange things happening with .rnw files in AucTeX mode
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 22:55:03 +0200

Hi List,

I witness strange things happen in .rnw files in LaTeX buffers with
sections like this:

 ,-------
 | <<>>=
 | R code
 | @
 `-------

These files are for documenting R code in LaTeX with R code chunks that
can be tangled into machine-executable files, surrounded by the markers
shown above:

,--------------------------------------------------------------------
| Any level of ploidy is accepted and \pegas\ checks the order of the
| alleles so that the returned genotypes have unordered alleles. For
| instance the file `tutu' is:
|
| \color{blue}
| \begin{verbatim}
| a/a/A
| A/a/a
| \end{verbatim}
| \color{black}
|
| <<>>=
| print(read.loci("tutu", FALSE), TRUE)
| @
`--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the mode information:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
| Auto-Fill Auto-Image-File Blink-Cursor Column-Number Delete-Selection
| Diff-Auto-Refine Display-Time Ess-Noweb Ess-Noweb-Font-Lock File-Name-Shadow
| Global-Auto-Complete Global-Font-Lock Global-Undo-Tree Ido-Everywhere
| Line-Number Mouse-Wheel Rcirc-Track Reftex Shell-Dirtrack Show-Paren
| Temp-Buffer-Resize Tex-Pdf Tooltip Transient-Mark Undo-Tree Window-Numbering
| Winner Workgroups
|
| (Information about these minor modes follows the major mode info.)
|
| LaTeX/P mode defined in `tex-site.el':
| Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
| See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, when I put the buffer in view-mode and pass

,------
| <<>>=
`------

with point, view-mode is immediately turned off and the buffer becomes
editable again. When I try to mark a region (with transient mark mode
on), the region is deactivated the moment point reaches this marker.

Whats happening there?

--
cheers,
Thorsten