Re: EIEIO built in methods -- question

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: EIEIO built in methods -- question
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:06:18 +0800

[...]

>>> Thanks for the offer! It would be something simple, just about using
>>> `initialize-instance', `constructor' if I ever understand exactly what
>>> that does, `object-print', and a few other methods in that neighborhood.
>>> As I mentioned I'm coming at this from Python experience, and wanted to
>>> write a basic how-to that would make sense to people with OO experience
>>> in other languages.

And, like an idiot, I just hadn't read the EIEIO manual thoroughly
enough. The section on Default Superclass has a basic rundown of
initialization, and the basic methods common to all classes. It doesn't
mention `constructor', but it's certainly good enough. I also realized
that `constructor' needs :static because it only works as a class-level
method. The instance doesn't exist yet, so of course it needs to be
called with a class as an argument.

I certainly learned a lot from this discussion, though it doesn't look
like I'll be able to give much back!