Re: Display the key bindings on the screen

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Display the key bindings on the screen
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:36:07 AM UTC+5:30, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:45:11 AM UTC+5:30, marc tfardy wrote:
> > I plan a Emacs video tutorial. For better key chords visualisation I
> > would like to display the pressed keys on the screen (in a window or in
> > a small separate frame). This means: when I type some key combination
> > that is bound to a Emacs lisp function - or this keys are a prefix -
> > these keys are displayed on the screen and are further normally
> > processed. Think of something like key visualisation in this video:
> > https://tutsplus.com/lesson/the-command-palette/
> > but not as a separate software, but a part of Emacs. This could could be
> > an advantage for extension, e.g. displaying of the command name.
> >
> > Is there any package that cover this functionality?
>

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CommandLogMode
>
> Ive been trying to tweak it to make it usable... not very successful

Well I did tweak it a bit and its a little better.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(load "command-log-mode")
(defun rusi/open-command-log-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((pop-up-frames t))
    (clm/open-command-log-buffer))
)
(add-hook 'haskell-mode-hook 'command-log-mode)
(add-hook 'inferior-haskell-hook 'command-log-mode)

Since I currently want it to work in teaching haskell, I need it to kick in for
haskell-mode and inferior-haskell-mode -- that explains the two hook setups.
The rusi/open-command-log-buffer is just clm/open-command-log-buffer advised to
open in a separate frame.

I further wanted to make the frame look better eg no header, minibuffer etc.
However my attempts at hacking the frame commands are unsuccessful at a
completely noob level and my question
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00465.html is
unanswered so far :-((