RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practic

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:29:48 +0000

> From: Juanma Barranquero, Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:35 PM
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Secondly, it does not involve emacs(!).  The problem is purely in
> [...]
> > "Connection refused": "No connection could be made because the target
> > machine actively refused it."
>
> Hm. I'm going to borrow the cristal ball from a friend and ask: Do you
> exit Emacs before turning off your computer?

Usually, yes (because if I haven't saved in every buffer, I don't like
leaving auto-save files around).

> As you start Windows and before trying emacsclientw.exe, if you look
> at %HOME%\.emacs.d\server (whenever your %HOME% happens to be), do you
> find there a file named server?

Not usually, no, but if I deliberately leave Emacs running when
telling Windows to restart, then I do find a "server" file in that
directory (and the pop-up error appears).

> If so, does the problem disappear if you delete that file before
> running emacsclientw.exe for the first time?

Yes.

I was not aware that I was not exiting Emacs, but in a hard Windows
abort/restart, of course, there is no opportunity to exit Emacs.
Still, I appreciate that the problem is arguably external to Emacs.

That said, the pop-up error really shouldn't need dismissal by the
user when there is either ALTERNATE_EDITOR or --alternate-editor.  In
that configuration, it's not clear that the error should even be
reported -- except perhaps as a warning (to inform the user why the
alternate editor was launched).

Thanks!
Mark