RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practic

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:28:12 +0000

> From: Juanma Barranquero, Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:02 AM
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That said, the pop-up error really shouldn't need dismissal by the
> > user when there is either ALTERNATE_EDITOR or --alternate-editor.  In
> > that configuration, it's not clear that the error should even be
> > reported -- except perhaps as a warning (to inform the user why the
> > alternate editor was launched).
>
> The error says that emacsclientw found a server file for a process it
> could not connect. That is useful.

I don't agree.  Why is it useful to make the user click OK (the only
available button) /before/ launching the alternate editor?

> For example, emacs could still be
> running, just not attending to server connections for some reason.
> It's better to give the user the information *and* let him decide (by
> clicking on OK, or doing something else) how to fix things.

Let's say you're correct that there is a running Emacs that's not
responding, so the dialog information is reporting an "interesting"
situation.  I claim that it /still/ doesn't matter, because
emacsclientw has made its only attempt to connect to the
supposedly-running server (which failed) and all the user can do is
click OK, after which emacsclientw will launch the alternate editor
(if any).  If there were a "Retry" button, that would be /very/different.

What else do you think I can do before clicking OK?  As far as
investigating what's wrong with a running Emacs, it doesn't matter
whether I look before or after clicking OK, because emacsclientw has
done whatever it's going to do to the running Emacs, and the alternate
editor (in my case) will be a separate instance of Emacs.

Thanks,
Mark