Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:06:18 -0600

Dan Espen wrote:
> Don't know if anyone has pointed out that your first test is going to be
> dramatically slower than subsequent tests:
>
> home> time emacs -Q -f kill-emacs
>
> real    0m6.582s
> user    0m0.409s
> sys     0m0.109s
> home> time emacs -Q -f kill-emacs
>
> real    0m0.500s
> user    0m0.385s
> sys     0m0.062s

Yes!  I should have mentioned the cold-cache hot-cache issue.  Thanks
for pointing that out.  I will go ahead and show my cold cache start
up times.  But I am hoping not to turn this into a session about my
desktop being slower/faster than another.  The point I was trying to
make was about the relative difference between the various startup
times with and without the local customizations.

  # echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
  $ time emacs -Q -f kill-emacs
  real    0m4.849s
  user    0m0.048s
  sys     0m0.032s

  # echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
  $ time emacs -q -f kill-emacs
  real    0m5.198s
  user    0m0.148s
  sys     0m0.028s

  # echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
  $ time emacs -f kill-emacs
  real    0m6.283s
  user    0m0.144s
  sys     0m0.052s

Here adding my local .emacs adds a second and a half to the startup.

Bob