Circular lists/shared structures in org-element parse-tree

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Circular lists/shared structures in org-element parse-tree
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:28:57 +0200

[Originally posted on the Org-mode mailing list, but I post it here too
since it is more an elisp oriented mailing list]

Hi List,

I wonder how I can find out in a (elisp) program the points in the parse
tree (returned by org-element-parse-buffer) where shared structures are
used.

In the read-syntax, its easy to see (especially with `print-circle' set
to non-nil):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  #2=(org-data nil #1=(headline (:raw-value "header 1"
   [...] :parent #2#) [...]
#+end_src

but when processing the parse tree as a list in elisp, how can I detect the
fact that

,------------
| :parent #2#

refers to

| #2=(org-data nil

i.e. points back to an already existing structure?

--
cheers,
Thorsten