Re: Bug in outline-magic.el

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Bug in outline-magic.el
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 00:07:52 +0200

Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz> writes:

> outshine.el seems interesting. I think I'll give it a try.

If you like Org-mode, it is for you - it blurs the line between Org-mode
and programming language major modes. I organize all my source-code
files like Org-mode files, and with outshine they just look and feel
like Org-mode buffers.

But outshine.el is not a complete replacement for outline-magic.el, although
all of its functionality is merged into outshine, otherwise support for the
latter could be dropped.

outshine.el is based on a simple but powerful idea:

,----------------------------------------------
| headlines are outcommented Org-mode headlines
`----------------------------------------------

using whatever comment-syntax the programming-language major-mode at
hand defines. There is only one special case supported:

 - oldstyle Emacs Lisp headlines

    ,---------------------------
    | ;;;; Second Level Header
    `---------------------------

    instead of "outshine-style"

    ,----------------------------
    | ;; ** Second Level Header
    `----------------------------

Thus, if you do not adopt this basic idea and use outline/outline-magic in
other ways (i.e. you structure your source-code files without using
outcommented Org-mode headlines), you cannot use outshine.el. But you still
can benefit from outline-magic's extension to outline mode, so
outline-magic.el should be maintained independently from outshine.el.

>> There is a version 0.9.1 available on github:
>>
>> ,--------------------------------------
>> | https://github.com/tj64/outline-magic
>> `--------------------------------------
>
> Hmm, what about modifying the pages on Emacs Wiki [1], [2] to reflect
> the location of the new version. I installed outline-magic from MELPA,
> which contains the version from wiki. If you want, I can do it.
>
> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OutlineMagic
> [2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/outline-magic.el
>
> [...]

Please, go ahead!

I wanted to promote outshine.el, outorg.el and navi-mode.el on Emacs Wiki,
but I was turned off by the fact that they publish my full name together with
my IP address. I find that strange.

PS

Did you test the new version - does it fix the bug you encountered?. Would be
nice to get some confirmation that things work before announcing them on
Emacs Wiki.

--
cheers,
Thorsten