Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 13:29:49 +0800

>> Some vars are read at load time only (so re-evaling base vars
>> does nothing) ...
>
> Good point, I forgot about that! Yeah, I have run into that as
> well. And I think ... *drumroll* ... that what I did, was
> restarting Emacs :) But even then, I think there is a way to get
> around that, without a restart. What about "shadowing" those vars
> with new vars, only closer than those original from their point of
> usage?

I'm sure you could figure something out... and in the case of both Org
and Gnus, they each provide reload/restart functions that promise to get
you a 90% clean slate :)

But I'm just a fair-weather tinkerer -- the issue has never annoyed me
enough to want to come up with another solution beyond restarting. It's
also the reason I never started using emacs as a daemon, attractive as
that sounds.