Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pre

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 01:59:45 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> > nil gave an error for me
>>
>> For me, it works - I get the default face (cyan - `M-x
>> describe-face default') - but - why set it to nil, instead of
>> the color of your choice?
>
> Because then it uses the default face which I have already set
> elsewhere.  Keeping it DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself.  I already
> set the color I wanted in one location.  I don't want to set
> that color again in an additional location.  :-)

Haha, crazy stuff.

But seriously, that principle you mention is a very healthy one
and since I started to stick to it pedantically the amount of
debugging has dropped sharp. It may look silly with

const int days_in_a_week = 7;

but as soon as I have two 7's appearing in computation (meaning
that) I set it up. It is not only a protection against typos, but
also against sloppy search-and-replaces.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573