Re: a) What ways can Meta be put in a command?... b) What's the differen

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: a) What ways can Meta be put in a command?... b) What's the difference between Esc-x and M-x
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 19:47:24 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Peter Dyballa writes:
> >>  b) What's the difference between Esc-x and M-x
> >
> > In a terminal emulation M-x does not exist, you have to use
> > Esc-x. The GNU Emacs variants with some windowing support also
> > support the Esc-x work-around.

That isn't precisely true.  The support for Meta depends upon the
terminal.  It just so happens that meta-chars conflicts with UTF-8 and
so for the most part you want UTF-8 more than a true Meta key that
sets the high bit of the character.  So we chose to configure
terminals so that Meta sends Escape.  At least I do.  And then
everything works.

> On paleo-computers, was the Escape key placed anywhere else than
> it is on today's keyboards? The reason I ask is - well, just try
> hitting a couple of familiar shortcuts, but instead of Meta, use
> Escape. I think it would take a master at the accordion to be
> productive using that.

Yes.  The escape key has been located in other locations.  Here is an
example.  On the HP HIL keyboard it was left of the left shift key.
(Also note that control was left of the A.)  A good keyboard layout
for the touch typist.  Everything was relatively close to the home
row.

  http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=575

Mostly escape has been located in the upper left "somewhere".
Although not always left of the 1 key.

Bob