Re: Trouble binding Alt *by itself* to the execute-extended-command...(A

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Trouble binding Alt *by itself* to the execute-extended-command...(Alt-x and ESC-x work fine.)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 10:49:21 +0700

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alt-x invokes the execute-extended-command just fine.
>
> I'd like the Alt key *by itself* to this command.

What you are *asking for* is possible but requires additional
software. Using At-Home-Modifier or xcape, you can assign a dual
function to any key — one function (single key) when the key is tapped
shortly, another (modifier) when the key is held down. So, make your
Alt double as Apps, and you’re good to go.

What you *want* seems to be an easy single key for invoking
execute-extended-command. Would you be satisfied with Apps (aka Menu)
key? It’s bound by default.

However, what you *need* is probably to bind some keys to commands you
frequently use with execute-extended-command.