gnus authentication bug

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: gnus authentication bug
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 16:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

This can be reproduced using news.metrocast.net since it is one of the
news servers that require authentication.  When I start up gnus, without
providing authentication, gnus goes into deep space and gets lost.  It
downloads an active file over a million bytes in size and just keeps on
downloading.  If I run rtin against the same server news.metrocast.net,
the subcontracted server with the news on it comes up news.giga.com and
expects authentication without downloading any active file.  For whatever
reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the authentication expected
message and this is the version 5.3..1 built into emacs 23.x.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.