Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to point out that your two statements:

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:12:04 PM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Man, those C and Perl days must have been exciting! Still, I'm not
> giving up on acquiring the big picture - just keep on digging,
> every day...

and then

> I'm going to customize *everything* down to the last
> detail. Emacs, the shell, the mail client, the web browser, even
> the kernel process scheduler, when I get there! That's the whole
> point with everything I do with computing. This is how I
> communicate with technology - because that's who I am.

are not exactly compatible.

When I spend my time on perfecting the details, I tend to miss out the big
picture.
You can take it from me -- learnt by hard painful experience -- that
perfectionism is not a virtue but a disease. IOW Jambunathan's advice is very
good advice.

And especially when I hear the tone of voice in this:

> Do you know why it looks like that, and not like some stinking,
> bloodsucking Windows MS Access with a white background, a blinking
> cursor, a minimal font, constant popups, and lack of shortcuts and
> cursor movement functionality that will have you reach for the
> mouse, type, type again, type ten, twenty times as much as I've
> been able to minimize it to, through years of customization,
> setting up zsh and Emacs shorthands in absurdum never to have to
> strike a single key that is not necessary?
>
> I suspect you probably don't get any of this, because if you did,
> you would never say what you said with zero information about the
> other person, accept that you disagreed over some silly issue.
>
> But, ... just for the record, I know I'm far from the only guy who
> suffered physically because of love for computers.

I am reminded of Erik Naggum.
[Run a search and ask how far you want to go that-a-way]