Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 22:13:21 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> Man, those C and Perl days must have been exciting! Still, I'm
>> not giving up on acquiring the big picture - just keep on
>> digging, every day...
>
> and then
>
>> I'm going to customize *everything* down to the last
>> detail. Emacs, the shell, the mail client, the web browser,
>> even the kernel process scheduler, when I get there! That's the
>> whole point with everything I do with computing. This is how I
>> communicate with technology - because that's who I am.
>
> are not exactly compatible.
>
> When I spend my time on perfecting the details, I tend to miss
> out the big picture.

That's you, not me. I've spent 3-4 years getting a CS degree. I'm
done drawing UML diagrams, writing pseudo-code, etc. While I did
that, I spent as much time "digging" (and no time sleeping). While
both (theory and digging) were helpful, and in retrospect, it's
different to say what gave what - did Linear Algebra help for
Lisp? - I'm done with theory, but I'll *never* be done digging.

> You can take it from me -- learnt by hard painful experience --
> that perfectionism is not a virtue but a disease. IOW
> Jambunathan's advice is very good advice.

I don't believe that. But I've heard that before, many times. I
think there might be some truth to it. Still, those people have
always been - in lack of a better word - "normal". They are not
warriors, because they never had to be. And normal people tend
only to understand other people that are normal. It is like seeing
a punch in boxing that you never saw before - do you know how it
looks? - it is *invisible*! Only the second time you see someone
throw it, you can (barely) make it out.

> And especially when I hear the tone of voice in this

If you read my reply perhaps you understand my reaction.

> I am reminded of Erik Naggum.
> [Run a search and ask how far you want to go that-a-way]

OK.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573