Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:51:01 +0200

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> And this is the case with all PLs, to various degrees. It is not
> really a matter of intelligence.

I don't think I've ever mentioned intelligence in this thread...

> I like Ada a lot! Great for concurrent and/or RT programming. Not
> a lot of people know Ada, though. And I know why: it was developed
> by the US military :)

Not really. Its development was sponsored by the DoD, but the team(s)
that created it (CII Honeywell Bull for Ada 80/83, Intermetrics for
Ada 95) were from the industry.

> I have much less experience with Ada than with C++, but what I saw
> with Ada was straightforward.

At this point, it is clear that I don't understand your definition of
"straightforward", so there's not much point in continue arguing. For
the definition of "straightforward" that I'm using, not even the
designers and maintainers of Ada would call it so.

> I'm looking to my experience. You can't do the same (look to *my*
> experience), so I hold you at a disadvantage here.

True.

> If that makes it not straightforward, and you want it to be, why
> don't you just not use those features?

Believe me, I use C++ as little as possible. In my list of preferred
"modern" languages, the only one that would score even worse is Java.