Migrating from compile-internal (psgml)

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Migrating from compile-internal (psgml)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 05:38:04 -0400

Hi there!

I have just discovered that C-c C-v (sgml-validate) does not work in
psgml anymore because it uses an obsolete function, which has
disappeared as of Emacs 24.3 (namely, compile-internal).

I have found out how to work around this (get a copy of a pre-24.3
compile.el and load it before calling sgml-validate), but I am
wondering if there is some rather straightforward, standard way of
migrating such packages to the new way that compile.el offers, because
my workaround is surely not a clean way of dealing with this. What I
have read about the changes seemed rather a little discouraging.

(An alternative might be creating some kind of intermediate layer,
which emulates compile-internal, but it would have to make sure that
other packages are not confused.)

Other packages must surely have migrated, too, it seems to me ... Any
suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Florian