Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:52:45 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> (At this point, I'd suggest to invest some time in reading the
>> manuals, because messing with such advanced stuff is not
>> recommended if you don't even know what the fringes are, how to
>> control them, and what is slot zero of the
>> standard-display-table.)
>
> Even after teaching CS for nearly 3 decades, I continue to find
> unsettling the mercilessness with which the Dunning-Kruger
> effect strikes the unwary.

What is the Dunning-Kruger effect? Wikipedia:

> The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled
> individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating
> their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed
> to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their
> mistakes.

Well, well! Are you going to keep this up, guys?! I asked a
question on technology, and got a couple of answers. Since then,
you are doing your worst insulting me.

OK, Mody: 1) I have a degree in CS myself, probably not as fancy
as yours, but fancy enough to know this is not CS, but CP
(computer practice). You can't pull rank.

2) And, I happen to be a teacher myself. And the *one* thing I
always encourage my students is: be *active* with your material!
Think, write, draw, ask, answer, juggle. You, on the other hand:
when I ask how to hide the $ sign - which is doable with *one*
line of Elisp, a solution which worked instantly, and in the
process brought clarity to another thing I didn't know, namely
fringes - you think this illusory superiority, of an unskilled
individual? I hope for your students sake this is not how you
treat them.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573