Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:06:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:13:35 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 03:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Rustom Mody
> >
> > Ok Eli spoke more roughly/rudely than necessary.
>
> I don't understand why you say that.  There was nothing rude or
> "rough" in what I wrote, not a single rude or offensive word.

In human communication there are two orthogonal dimensions:
- the factual/predicative line
- the emotive rapport/empathy line

As for the first, whatever you say is true. And it is more or less what I said.
As for the second if you read your last parenthetical note, you will hopefully
see that the 'even' packs rather a hard punch.

No dont get me wrong -- if you feel it necessary to pack that punch, thats ok.
In any case I am the guy who 'pulls rank' :-). In my book thats not abusive nor
complimentary, just facts of how civilized life runs.

On this list this means that guys like you, Juanma etc are the givers, guys
like Emanuel,me* are the receivers. This has two sides:
1. You know the stuff, we generally dont
2. You make the stuff, we (mostly thanklessly) use it.

So if that means that you say "Piss off!" to someone, you are entitled and that
someone should lump it.

Well so much for the micro/individual level.

At the macro level, emacs needs Emanuel (and a few hundred more such) more than
the Emanuel^100 need emacs**.  Keeping that in mind, just consider this a
humble*** request to handle over-sensitive noobs with kid-gloves.

* Yeah the irony of how Emanuel sees the ganging up!!
** And the double irony. Being an old-fart-user myself I fall neatly between
two stools -- Neither a dev nor an enthu kid.
*** Yeah! I pull rank at every point :-)

> I gave a comprehensive answer to the OP's questions.  I then
> suggested, given his apparent lack of knowledge about the stuff being
> discussed, to read about that in the manuals.  Since not knowing
> something is not something one should be ashamed of,

Yeah that certainly seems to be the problem here: "unskilled" is being heard as
an abuse.

To Emanuel:  My apologies for anything that I said which caused hurt.