Re: Learn Emacs Lisp in 15 minutes

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Learn Emacs Lisp in 15 minutes
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:23:11 +0200

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> On 2013-07-25, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now here is my attempt at playing the "15 minutes" game:
>> http://bzg.fr/learn-emacs-lisp-in-15-minutes.html
>
>> Comments and feedback welcome, enjoy,
>
> I'm at 15 mins and still only half way! ('course I'm dumb as a
> stump)

Well, my bad I guess :/

> ";; Use the mouse to go back to the window where you code."
>
> Doesn't work for me.  Using emacs 23.3, but C-x o does the trick.

I fixed this by mentioning C-xo and _clicking_ on the window (not only
hovering over it.)

> OK, I'm at 30 mins and have found another mistake.  You instruct:
>
> "
> ;; Now if you don't mind, I'll stop asking you to hit `C-xC-e': do it
> ;; for every sexp that follows.
>
> ;; It's often useful to erase the buffer:
> "
>
> But, you forgot to instruct to return to scratch buffer.  So,
> entering code in test buffer turn scratch buffer into test buffer, of
> which I now have two test buffers which do the same thing.

Good catch!  Fixed.

> This is not a gotchya, jes a example of every programming howto I've
> ever read.  Somewhere, the author always makes a mistake and then I'm
> left confused and lost.

Been there too.

> Sorry, but the syntax must be perfect and
> explained in detail and typically, it is not.

It's hard to find the right trade-off: I cannot go into too much
details about variables, dynamic variables, etc.

> Otherwise, I like your
> little tutorial.  In yer favor, I learned more in 30 mins than all
> previous LISP lessons, including emacs' own.  I'll finish it and
> bookmark it.  Also, I hate coding.  I'll never be a programmer and
> have no desire to be, but love linux and know I must learn some code.
> I also love emacs and try to learn something new every day.  In that,
> you have succeeded brilliantly.  Thank you.  ;)

Glad this was useful, even in some (yet?) unpredictable ways!

> BTW. emacs 23.3 does not open to scratch buffer.

Oh, you're right too here, fixed by suggesting to hit `q' to escape
the first welcome window.

Thanks for the comments!

--
 Bastien