Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Sorting with threads in Gnus
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:06:15 +0200

>> I hoped that `gnus-thread-sort-functions' was applied only to thread
>> roots, and `gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function' to subthreads, but
>> that doesn't seem to be tha case.
>
> Huh, interesting -- I hadn't realized subthreads were sorted as well,
> but they are: gnus-sort-threads calls the appropriately-named
> gnus-sort-threads-recursive.

Funnily, I also didn't notice that for years.  But now that I do, it
started annoying me.

> That's hard-coded, and there's nothing to distinguish a top-level
> thread from a subthread.

Well, I'd say a thread root doesn't really need to be the real root of a
thread, just the top-level article that's displayed by Gnus in the
summary buffer (which depends on `gnus-fetch-old-headers' and others).
And I guess that's identitfiable, e.g., the articles that get their
summary thread tree style from `gnus-sum-thread-tree-root',
`gnus-sum-thread-tree-false-root', and
`gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-indent' are the root articles of a thread.

> But I'll bet with a little care, it would be possible to make a
> gnus-sort-threads-recursively-p option, which would have
> gnus-sort-threads break to gnus-sort-articles after the first round of
> sorting... Maybe.

That would be awesome.

Bye,
Tassilo