RE: Detecting a running process in Elisp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Detecting a running process in Elisp
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

> I have a process "ScidvsMac" which I'd like to detect in
> Elisp.  I'm currently using
>     (search "ScidvsMac" (shell-command-to-string "ps -A"))
> but is there something cleaner?

Without knowing anything about processes in Elisp, I tried
using apropos "processes" (apropos "process" had too many hits).

That led me to `list-processes', which led me to `list-processes--refresh'.

That led me to `process-list', which I imagine you can use to get
what you want.  Each element of `process-list' is supposedly a
process object (the doc is not terrific for `process-list'), which
means you can use functions such as `process-buffer', `process-name',
`process-type', `process-status', and `process-attributes' on it.

HTH.  Remember: `apropos' and its friends are your friends.