Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:19:54 +0200

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Isn't a thesis something LaTeX would be the natural choice for,
> with its from-the-shelf support for a ToC, headers (of all sorts),
> footnotes, references, etc.? Of which so much is automated to a
> very high degree?

Yes, but maybe for something in the science field, while for other
types of thesis org mode can be a more gentle approach to editing very
large documents.

> Yes, I think videos are great for this! At least if the person who
> makes the video has the real Emacs fingers, moving the cursor at
> Jedi-master speed, killing, yanking, filling, other window,
> reading mail, sending a Usenet post, evaluating some Elisp defun,
> 1-2-3, KO. Irresistible to any and all true techno-warriors.

+1
For the average non-emacs users a video tutorial or demo is surely
something much more interesting than a wiki. Most of us buy what we
see, not what is under the hood.

Luca