Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:52:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:03:28 PM UTC+5:30, Barry Margolin wrote:
> For instance, by removing features related to pointers, you can get a
> language that makes buffer overflows very unlikely.

Nice example!

I maintain two FP-related lists:

a. A 'lost booty' of features list
http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/functional-programming-lost-booty.html

b. FP invades the mainstream list
http://blog.languager.org/2013/06/functional-programming-invades.html

If there are more examples to be added (as you will see majority come from
lisp) please let me know!

> While it may not make it "more powerful", it may make it more likely to
> produce correct programs.

Well...
Its true as a fact but not so good as an attitude.
In my experience people get driven away by even a faint whiff of (what Hughes
calls) monkishness.

How to kid the kids into liking spinach is always a challenge for Momma!