Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:02:35 -0400

[...]

Harry wrote:
>> The biggest problem is that the M (alt) key is not recognized on
>> solaris and so one must use the Esc key which is really awkward.
>> And it seems I vaguely recall some other problems too, but right
>> now that Esc key thing is such an absolute pain I haven't got
>> that far.

Emanuel replied:
> I just tried that, and it works for me. Are you running Emacs from
> a terminal emulator? In that case, it might be the emulator isn't
> tuned to that key. I'm not using Emacs in X, but once I did, and I
> recall that some stuff in .Xresources got the Meta key working:

You just tried what?  Do you mean on your solaris in X the Alt key
works as M in emacs, same as linux?

If that is what you are seeing, then mine is different... here the alt
key is not recognized in emacs... only the Meta (windows logo) key or
the ESC key are seen by emacs as M.

But again I have not yet tried your suggestions.

To be clear:
With no attempts at remapping or using .Xdefaults, 'alt' key is not
recognized by emacs.  Meta key (windows logo key) and ESC are
recognized by emacs as M.