Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 12:42:00 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Use of .Xdefaults is rather superseded by the .Xresources file.
> The difference between the two is subtle.  But .Xresources tends
> to be preferred because of the way that it is applied.  The
> .Xresources is applied to the $DISPLAY through xrdb.  The
> .Xdefaults is applied through the presence in the $HOME
> directory, but only if the xrdb is empty.  So once you have a
> .Xresources the .Xdefaults is no longer used.

That's interesting. On my school's Solaris/SunOS, in my home
directory, there wasn't any .Xresources to begin with, but there
was an .Xdefaults. It would have been interesting to examine the
the contents of that file, but I was so eager to try the
.Xresources solution that I just deleted the .Xdefaults, to be
sure it didn't influence in any way. And now, you're saying that
was unnecessary, because it is only applied if there isn't a
populated xrdb/.Xresources. You live, you learn.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573