Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:32:21 -0400

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

[...]

>> To be clear... the Meta key has worked as ALT does on linux right from
>> the start.... I just caught it after my OP on this subject, and posted
>> that I'd 'discovered' a sort of solution.
>>
>> Its still kind of a pita just because of long habit on the ALT key in
>> emacs. But much handier than ESC
>
> In your Xterm, hold down control and left mouse button.  A menu should
> appear.  Keep holding control and left mouse.  Drag down to "Meta
> Sends Escape" and tick it so that it now has a checkmark.  As
> previously suggested by others that is the same as the following X
> resource.
>
>   XTerm*metaSendsEscape:true
>
> Since you say that Alt has the mod1 modifier making it a Meta key I
> believe this should be enough.

[...]

Sounds like you are saying that having ticked that item, if I start
emacs in that same command xterm... I should get behavior where the
ALT key just to the right of the key with windows logo (on many
keyboards) Or put another way starting from left with left most key
being 1, it is the 3rd key going to the right... just before the
'space bar'.

OK, that key DOES NOT work in emacs here.  If I press Alt-x (as is how
it works under linux), then emacs responds with 'A-x is not defined'

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

But, I'm not sure I'm doing what you suggest... once I tick that item,
then at the same xterm command line, typing `emacs <enter>' starts
emacs (In X) in its own new window.

I guess you are saying that in that new emacs window... the ALT key
(same as described above) works in emacs so that pressing Alt-x
displays M-x: prompt in emacs.  If that is what you are saying ...then
That DOES NOT happen here.

Not sure where that leaves things but now going to insert:
   XTerm*metaSendsEscape:true

Into my ~/.Xresources file.... but Doggone it, I don't remember how to
reread .Xresources so that any changes become effective.... I'll have
to restart X  and see how it goes.