Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 20:03:42 +0200

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> X enabled Emacs seem to behave like any other tty/x enabled
> application.

What do you mean by "tty/x enabled"?

That it behaves differently in a tty and in X?

In X, my display is ":0", in a tty, it isn't set.

With (in a tty)

emacs -d ":0" 2> errors.txt

everything is as predicted - I get the GUI Emacs in X (in the
background, when I switch to X, I see it). Nevertheless, that
command outputs to stderr:

(emacs:3496): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

(emacs:3496): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

You have any idea what that is?

Interestingly, again in a tty,

DISPLAY=":0" emacs

did *not* produce those error messages, and the GUI Emacs appeared
just the same in X.

> If $DISPLAY is set, you get the GUI.
>
> Type:
>
> DISPLAY=  emacs
>
> and you get text mode.

Yes, but isn't it better to use -nw - or, did you say that to show
the mechanics, rather than usage?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573